my niece recently started preschool back in december and has adjusted to her new routine quite nicely! it's been fun being the one that does the drop-off and pick-ups. makes me remember why and how much i love working with kids, though not sure if i'm ready to go back to work full time yet!
since she is only two, her class is fairly small, so when i saw this post on some handmade valentines, i KNEW i had to make this one! i thought it was totally perfect (since she loves dancing to whatever music is playing!) and also very unique, and so much more fun than the box of cards you can buy from the store. (loved the crayon idea as well, but didn't have a heart shaped pan mold).
i originally set out (and had already acquired all the materials) for the candy version, unfortunately, once i was halfway through with putting them all together, i saw a note at the school a few days later that said valentines that were being handed out, should NOT have any food items attached! of course that's my luck!
since i had already had my heart set on these valentines, i knew the alternative would be just as easy! instead of the sweetheart conversation heart boxes, i used some foam board, and for the "earphones" i found these foam beads that worked out perfectly!
i ended up making both versions, one for my niece to hand out at school, and the other for her to hand out to her cousins and some other playmates! both are tucked inside a clear treat bag, and stapled closed with a cardstock label that has a cute i-pod heart image on it! you can also print out the scroll wheel and playlist from the original post here.
these are super easy to make, and depending on how many you might need, shouldn't take more than an hour.
-small boxes of candy (either conversation hearts, sweetart hearts, or jelly belly boxes)
-decorative paper (i was able to get a 6pk of valentine paper at target for only $1 from their dollar section!)
-white yarn, or string
-hershey kisses, rolos, peanut butter cups, or foam beads to use as "earphones"
- OPTIONAL: cardstock, clear treat bags
1. glue foam beads or whatever candy piece you are using to the yarn/string (cut about 5 inch each)
2. wrap the box or foamboard with decorative paper, and glue or tape shut. depending on whether or not you want the "earphones" to be seen or hidden, you can either tape a set to the back side of the box or tape directly to the back after you've already covered the box.
3. print out the playlist and scroll wheel and glue to the front of the box
4. if you want to hand out the valentines as is, then you are done- just write your valentine message on the back of the box! or, if you'd like, you can package them inside a clear treat bag and make a decorative message to put on some cardstock and envelope the bag in between the cardstock and staple closed! (i used colored staples, so if you want to stick with the valentine theme, you can use red staples!)