i knew food gawker wouldn't let me down! i came across this post for a summer berry yogurt loaf cake and i knew i had to make it!! my husband would rather eat desserts with berries rather than chocolate. he's not much of a cake or pie person, and he only just started liking eating ice cream! (he used to do sorbet or italian ice all the time). but slowly, my weaknesses have also become his! or so i'd like to think when half of a container goes missing! when i saw this post i knew i had to make it for him! plus, any excuse to buy more fresh berries! and i also loved the fact that it was made with yogurt!
Summer Berry Yogurt Loaf
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt (i think next time i might try vanilla yogurt!)
- 1 cup fresh berries ( i actually used 1 1/2 cups of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries...i probably should have stuck to just the one cup, because a lot of the berries sunk to the bottom!)
- 2 tbsp orange zest (i think i used around 1 1/2 tbsp, and that was plenty! the zest really came out in the cake!)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- (i'm lazy and i hate doing dishes, so i sort of consolidated the directions from the post that the instructions came from). mix butter, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. using a hand mixer, gradually add in the eggs, one at a time, and then the yogurt.
- add in the berries and orange zest, mixing with a spoon.
- spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray, and bake for approximately 70 minutes. allowing to cool before removing onto a wire rack.
I was bad...i served mine drizzled with a little white chocolate icing!